I have an unhealthy obsession with cute, little cartoon bears, like Rilakkuma or Brown from Line Friends. As soon as I saw this cushion, I knew I had to have it, and I just crossed my fingers that the shade would match me.
Luckily, I had waited a little bit after it came out so that I could easily snag it on Amazon Prime, because I am so impatient once I order things lol. Prime has spoiled me, and it doesn’t help that they now have a Korean Beauty section! They are such enablers.
I ordered this in Shade #21, which is the lightest shade. I have normal-type, NC15 skin at the moment.
Here is a look at the box it came in:
I should mention that brown is my favorite color. I know that’s not a common choice, but it’s just such a warm, comfortable color and I absolutely love it! Just like this cushion!! SO EXCITED.
Here is a close-up of the ingredients:
HERE is a link to CosDNA’s full analysis of the ingredients. The ones that I personally liked are:
- Titanium Dioxide (physical sunscreen, yay!)
- Glycerin (humectant, pulls in moisture)
- Niacinamide (reduces hyperpigmentation)
- Rosehip Oil, Avocado Oil, Olive Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil (moisture!!!)
- Adenosine (anti-aging)
- Baobab Tree Fruit extract (anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory)
The ingredients in here that make me curious are:
- Calophyllum inophyllum seed oil
- Apparently this is also known as “Tamanu Oil”, and has been known to promote the formation of new tissue, known as cicatrization, and is used as a topical aid in Pacific Island folk medicine. I found this information below, which really piqued my interest:
- Bamboo extract
- I found out that bamboo extract is used to “treat various inflammatory conditions.”
- Cactus Flower extract
- I found out that this is mainly an antioxidant, possibly, and seems to be used in holistic medicine?
I’m generally happy about these, since this is going to be sitting on my face all day…! And it hasn’t broken me out yet.
Now, originally I believe the deal was that people would receive the cushion + 2 extra refills, but then they changed it to the cushion + 1 extra refill + 1 extra puff. I received the latter, which I am personally grateful for, since my puffs seems to get old fast (and the refill does not come with a new puff):
The cushion compact is very lightweight, and some say that it’s “cheap” feeling, but hey, it’s a cheaper cushion than Laneige or Hera. It is slightly lighter packaging than Etude House… but it also is cheaper than Etude House, so keep that in mind. However, it’s not so lightweight that I don’t feel it’s stable – I think this is stable and I highly doubt that it will break on me. I’ve used it for a couple weeks now, daily, and I’ve been throwing it in my purse and makeup bags, and it’s doing just as well as Etude House or any other cushion. I think people are just used to that extra weight.
What’s interesting is that the top of the lid isn’t flat, it’s got a very unique curvature to it:
Can you see that? I think it adds to the cuteness! (^.^)
…and the puff. Oh my god the puff. SO CUTE:
And here is the sponge:
At first pat (lol), I thought right away that this was a heavier coverage cushion that might look cakey. I wasn’t sure about it at first:
And here is my BEFORE, AFTER:
My bathroom doesn’t have the best lighting. But you can tell that with one layer it obliterates any redness I had and gave me medium to full coverage. I was impressed. But I was afraid. What if it looks cakey?
I asked my boyfriend at the time whether my makeup was okay and he said it looked good, which is a big deal because he tells me if it looks too heavy. He likes natural looks. Whew! It passed that test.
Here is a side view:
And here is the final result in the morning sunlight:
And that’s just one layer guys. *\(^_^)/*
Now, the coverage is great, and the finish is natural and dewy (but not strobe-dewy) – but let’s talk about the wear time:
- At first I tried wearing it alone. It lasted about 4 hours before I started to see some wear and at 6 hours I was ready to call it a day because my coverage was going, going, gone and it had started breaking down. It was not a good look. You could tell that it was breaking down when you looked at my face.
- Then I tried it with powder (just powder) and it lasted a bit longer, about 5-6 hours before it started showing signs of break down. But I wanted more.
- So, I tried using both a powder and a setting spray on top of this cushion, and that seemed to do it. On days when I used this combo I was able to squeeze 8 hours out of this cushion, which was what my goal was since I work in 8 hour shifts. It also depended on the setting spray that I used though – if I used the NYX setting spray it didn’t last longer than 6 hours. But when I used the ELF Mist & Set, that was the golden ticket. It lasted. And my facial tissue test at the end of the day proved it – there was a crap ton still on my face when I got home from work and took it off. Wheeee!!!
After two (going on three) weeks of daily use, I’m still a huge fan. I look at my BB creams that I leaned on for heavy coverage and say, “eehhh… nah.” And then I reach for this cushion. And powder and setting spray.
As someone who is NC15 and whom the Mizon Snail Repair BB cream fits perfectly, this cushion was almost a little too dark for me and I make sure to use a light shade in powder to set it, to make sure nobody notices. But I think it’s a flexible shade, I’m just paranoid. I will say that after it sets it seems to match my skin better. It would probably fit NC15, NC20 just fine, and maybe even someone slightly darker with some bronzer?
Note: I did notice that it tends to crease if I put too much over my fine lines near my eyes (I’m 27 so it’s beginning), so go easy over areas with fine lines. If I go light over those areas then it’s fine.
Also, I’ve heard people claim that this Brown bear cushion is the “matte” version, but be aware that this does have a dewy finish on my normal-type skin – it’s just not strobe-dewy like the Sally Duck Moisture one.
I should also mention that my climate right now is 50-70 degrees F with low humidity. Your local climate may affect how this cushion wears on you, just like your skin type.
So in conclusion:
- Medium to full coverage
- Must use powder and mist&set for long wear
- Dewy but natural finish
- Great deal, cheap in comparison to Etude House or Laneige, etc
- Easy to find online
Here’s my rating scale:
- ABSOLUTE FAIL. Would not repurchase.
- Meh. Not horrible, but not that good either.
- Hmmm. That’s interesting and I like it enough to use it all.
- Ooohhh. I definitely like this.
- WOW. This stuff is great! *.*
- I LOVE THIS. HOLY GRAIL STATUS!!
Score: 5/6 (A longer wear time would have made it 6/6)
Will I repurchase? Yes.
Will I only use this forever? Maybe. No, I’m just kidding. I do use my Etude House Any Cushion when I just want light to medium coverage! 🙂
Hope this was helpful and ask away if there’s anything else you’d like to know! Leave me a comment! Have a good week everyone! ❤